Thursday, July 24, 2008

Shuttle Run

Today, I almost missed work. You ask, Why? Because the stupid shuttle could not be bothered to actually adhere to a schedule.

I pay through the nose to go to college. Tuition kills me and I constantly struggle to meet the ever rising cost, between paying for the privilge of attending and books and 'laboratory fees'. My tuition jumped seven thousand dollars this coming term alone. I have come to expect a certain level of service here. I figure with the thousands that get funneled into their maul, they could afford to maintain a bus schedule that is on time.

Unfortunately, reality stinks. The bus is perpetually late, and sometimes it leaves too early (going at 2:12 instead of 2:15, for example). On top of that, the drivers love to take breaks that range from 30 minutes to an hour. These breaks are completely random. You might have five days where you board at three o'clock, but on Friday you're out of luck since the driver decided to take an hour break during that time. It's frustrating. It's annoying. Whatever were they thinking?

There are enough drivers so that it could be arranged for rotations and allow everyone enormous breaks. Why don't they do this? There are seven drivers that I know and you're telling me their schedules are so lazy that only one or two are on duty on a given day and those two spend the day basically slacking off?

I find myself taking public transit more and more. It's sad when the trolley is on time more often than a bus service I pay thousands for. Our public transit stinks and is hardly ever on time. But they just throw a bunch of cars at once, so if there's a delay on one at least two others may make it through.

If it's going to be half baked, they might as well save the gas money and not run shuttle service at all. At least I wouldn't have any expectations.

No comments: